Real estate has long been considered a solid investment for many reasons.
It is a relatively safe and an easy way for people to build wealth beginning with a small amount of money.
Here are some of the ways investing in property can help you build an investment portfolio:
1. Real estate investments can provide you with a reliable and steady cash flow. Investing in rental properties is smart as expenses are predictable and if your properties remain occupied you know what to expect in terms of profit margin.
2. Real estate appreciates in value. Real estate consistently appreciates, even during economic downturns, making it one of the more reliable investments. On average, real estate in the US appreciates between 3-5% annually.
3. Real estate equity can be leveraged. One of the most attractive reasons for investing in real estate is the ability to leverage your money. When you take out a mortgage to purchase property you reduce the amount of capital required. As you build up equity in the property, you borrow against the equity or refinance the original loan, freeing up cash to buy another property.
4. Real estate sales are taxed at a lower rate than other income. When you sell your property, you are taxed short- or long-term capital gains which are usually lower than income tax brackets.
5. You have control to improve upon your asset. Unlike an investment in stock, where you have no control over how it performs, you can improve upon your real estate investment. Updating or upgrading systems, finishes, appliances, and landscaping helps build value in your investment.
6. Real estate gains taxes can be deferred. Under the 1031 exchange tax code, you can invest the gains from the sale in one property to the purchase of another property without paying taxes on the gains.
7. Real estate investments help you retire. If you have been paying on your mortgage throughout your working years, you will experience greater cash flow as you near the end of your mortgage term and the principal is paid off.
Reach Out For my FREE Martha's Vineyard Buyer's Guide
Click HERE to Access!
If you would like a free guide on how to navigate the process of home-buying, please reach out today!
My Home Buyer’s Guide will provide you with valuable insight on each step of the process, making your journey to owning a home enjoyable and stress-free. This guide can be useful to anyone, no matter their location, preparing to buy a home.
As a Realtor® with Compass, I have a large network of knowledgable Realtors® Nation-Wide that I would be happy to connect you with!